Leaning into The Grind
It's late January and the starry excitement of the new year is quickly fading. We've officially hit the grind.
The part where you must do the things you set out to do for all of the reasons you originally decided to do it - even though it's no longer, easy, fun, or novel anymore. Plus it's dark (and probably cold).
I for one, am feeling the grind.
I feel it in the daily habits that I am trying to make stick. The things that I KNOW are good for me, but take longer than a few weeks to make a difference (like drinking enough water and mindfulness meditation).
Are you feeling it too?
Here's how I'm leaning into the grind
- Always, always remember that your goal is a actually a DAILY practice
- I promise you that you cannot lose 20lbs by tomorrow, or even by the day after that.
- Resist the urge to get caught up in the end game. Today is the only day you have to make a change so focus on making one good decision at a time.
- Enlist help if you haven't already
- Just as I'm telling you that it's starting to get difficult for me, I'm confident there's someone you live or work with that could also use a boost.
- Be an encourager, and you in turn will be encouraged.
- Remind yourself of your WHY on a daily basis
- Sometimes we just simply forget why we started in the first place. If you haven't already, physically write down your goal.
- Practice gratitude
- This is the most important one for me. It's easy to forget how good you have it when you're trying to be better.
- Every morning when I wake up, I write down 3 things I'm grateful for. No matter HOW difficult it is to wake up, if I can just get to that point, I remember why I'm getting up in the first place.
How is the new year going for you? Tell me in the comments!