2018: Courage Over Comfort
Courage over comfort.
I just cannot get the word “courage” out of my head.
(I know that’s a weird thing to say, but I am weird.)
2017 was the year of “do the hard things, and then find a beach” and 2018 will be the year of “courage over comfort”.
For weeks, I’ve had this feeling that my world is about to get rocked. I trust that God has a great plan for my life, but that doesn’t mean the path will be easy. I have no idea what I’m in for, but I have this very strong sense it will take a lot of courage.
I did a lot of things last year that were hard but maybe didn’t take a TON of courage for me personally. I am really quite good at being comfortable. Although I think most of us are, as mentioned above, I don't like to be like most people.
Here are some things that come to mind when I think about courage:
- Tough conversations
- Showing vulnerability
- Leaning in instead of stepping back when things get uncomfortable
- Not deflecting or blaming when I’m feeling shamed or inadequate
I’ve been challenged a lot from a leadership perspective in 2017. I spent 90% of the time feeling like I’m not doing anything really well. I think 2018 will make that feel like a cake-walk - there is a lot of growth ahead of me.
I love goals and plans and I can make audacious goals without fear. It’s dealing with the deeper stuff that’s hard for me. Courage doesn’t mean “being simply strong”. In many cases, it doesn’t involve being strong at all – it means breaking down and trusting I'll get back up.
So, this year I’m working on...
- The courage to ask for help.
- The courage to admit my failures.
- The courage to pick myself back up.
- The courage to give myself grace.
- The courage to be more empathetic (feel other people’s feels).
- The courage to reach out when it’s easier to turn in.
- The courage to trust God even more. (And even more than that).
- The courage to relax and smile more!
- <and many more>
It’s going to be a big year. I'm not sure what that means, but my intention is to be courageous through it all.